Wednesday, January 13, 2010

David Sedaris


David Sedaris is one of my favorite authors…ever.

Honest, witty and captivating, he has a writing style that I’ve always admired. When I’m reading his books, I spend half the time actually reading and the other half just laughing hysterically. And I think it’s rare to find an author who can keep you entertained the way he can.


Two years ago I went and saw Davis Sedaris when he was on his book tour for When You Are Engulfed in Flames. He read part of the book as well as several other short stories, both published and unpublished. Being there while he was reading aloud made his stories that much more impactful and hilarious. It was such a great experience and looking back, I’m so glad I had the opportunity to go.


One of the stories he read that evening was 'Journey Into Night' and I remember how much I enjoyed listening to this particular piece. I think I even teared up a little at the end!

If you’d like to read it for yourself, (which I highly recommend), the story is posted on The New Yorker website.

If you haven’t read David Sedaris before, take a look at some of his books HERE. (My personal favorite being: Me Talk Pretty One Day)


I always wish I had more time to read. And as I’ve mentioned before, my list of MUST READS is getting longer and longer. I’m halfway through about five books right now. Soon I will finish one and then hopefully the rest will follow. And when that time finally comes, I think my next mission will be to go back and re-read some David Sedaris favorites of mine. I think that before I create a new list I’d like to dwell a little on some of the books and stories that have meant the most to me. Plus, who doesn’t love a good laugh!



1 comment:

  1. Great post! I LOVE LOVE LOVE David Sedaris too! Me Talk Pretty One Day had me rolling on the floor! I want to read more of his books!

    ReplyDelete